Tuesday, February 1, 2011

New Project: Sidney 2.0

And so the next project begins!

Allow me to introduce Robert Sidney 2.0. We may all remember the outfit I made for my brother playing Sir Robert Sidney at the Bristol Renaissance Faire http://theradclyffe.blogspot.com/2010/11/sir-robert-sidney.html In case we don't, there's the link. As that was my first shot at Elizabethan menswear, some things didn't turn out quite as I'd have liked, and other things just didn't really survive the season. So I will be remaking some of this outfit, namely the doublet and slops.

The cape and sleeves, as pictured below, will be retained.


New fabrics and trim have been bought for the doublet and slops to match the existing color scheme, but create a completely new look:

Materials came from a number of different stores, including Loomcraft in Vernon Hills, Il, Vogue fabrics in Evanston, Il, Fishman's Fabrics in Chicago, Il, and Gayfeather Fabrics in Madison, WI.



I've been able to make a start and some good progress on the slops already. The slops are cut out and wefted (the material was just a tad too lightweight) and ready to be assembled. And excitingly, the better part of the night was spent cutting and constructing the panes, which are now finished!

Here you can see how I first flatlined the layers together, then used the copper Burmese Silk Blend to bind the edges, then couched a blue rattail in the ditch to give them that extra pop!

A couple panes together:


Laid out over the slops fabric:

And a close up of the finished panes fanning out on the slops fabric:

If I get called off of work tomorrow thanks to the Snomageddon, I'll continue putting the slops together tomorrow. Otherwise I'll get back to them sometime soon. Until then, enjoy these photos and your SnowDay if you are so lucky, and thanks for checking in!

No comments:

Post a Comment